פורסם בתאריך 30 נוב 2019
In this video i'm restoring a rusty arbor press.
Ever since I started my channel I had an arbor press on my wish list to restore. Not just because it's an interesting good looking item, mainly because I want to have one in my shop. So I got very excited when my friend called me two weeks ago and told me that he has found one on the steel waste. It's a small Fehlmann arbor press, they're very famous in switzerland for making the best ones.
I choose turquise blue for the main body and painted the letters black and I really like how to colour turned out. Unfortunately the table was missing, so I had to make a new one. I first planed to mill the slots on a CNC milling machine, but I couldn't get access to one in time so I decided to make it manually. It took some time to find a way to make them, took even more time to make them, but the endresult speaks for itself. It turned out absolutely perfect. I went with bluing on the gear part of the handle and sanded the handle itself. The name plate was from the previous seller of this press, it's a well known seller for machines in Switzerland. As the plate was too damaged to use again, I decided to make my own „my mechanics“ plate out of aluminium. It took me three tries to get it to work and I ended up with a very nice and clean plate at the end. I went with a brushed finish for the name plate, as it fits the other finishes very well.
Overall I'm very happy how the press turned out. I really like the contrast of the different colours and finishes and I'm more than happy to finally own an arbor press in my shop. This tool will be very usefull and will for sure appear in future videos.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Amanda Taylor, Esq
01:36 showing all the parts
01:45 removing the old paint with paint stripper
03:27 restoring the main body
04:12 applying filler on the main body
04:45 sanding the unpainted surfaces of the main body
05:14 masking the main body
05:32 applying two component primer on the main body
05:41 applying two component coat „turquise blue“ on the main body
05:51 painting the letters black of the main body
06:12 making the missing table on the lathe and milling machine
10:20 cleaning the other parts with the parts washer
10:41 removing the rust with rust remover
11:20 restoring the gear rack
12:31 restoring the handle
14:28 restoring the bolt
15:00 restoring the big washer
15:44 making a new name plate
17:39 showing the parts before reassembling
18:55 showing the finished restoration
20:04 final test
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 1 week
$30 arbor press
$50 primer and coat
$8 steel for the table
$10 aluminium sheet for the name plate
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
my mechanics T-Shirts:
My Second Channel:
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram:
My Facebook Page: