פורסם בתאריך 21 אפר 2020
I bought this vise pretty much 1.5 years ago together with the other Gressel bench vise I already restored and made a video. I also payed $20 for this one. Since then it was laying aroung in my basement. I always knew that I'll restore this one as well, just because it's a Gressel and it will totally worth to safe it from the trash.
This one wasn't that rusty like the other one, but it was also completely deadlocked. The handle was beaten up and bent. The jaws, some screws and two pieces to hold the spindle were missing. The pin that secures the spindle from turning was broken. Because of all that the spindle fell out. This vise has two threads and two concentric bushings to keep the jaws in place. Talking to Gressel I found out that this method was only produced until 1960, so it's at least 60 years old now. It could be from 1943, as both parts had a „43“ stamped on them. As these original jaws are getting no longer produced, I decided to drill an extra hole between the threads to be able to use new jaws. Gressel was so nice to send me new flat jaws. All the bare surfaces were in really bad condition due to heavy use, that's why I decided to weld up material and clean all these surfaces on the milling machine. I replaced the handle with a new one, but I used the old rounded ends again which turned out great. I later secured the ends with Loctite when reassembling. I also made the two missing screws and the broken pin out of the old handle. I choose to paint the whole vise the same color as the movable jaws from the new Gressel vises are, cobalt blue (RAL5013). I think it turned out very well, the white lettering, the shiny bare spots and the black parts match very well.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Amanda Taylor, Esq
Martin Rønnow Klarlund
02:45 showing all the parts
02:53 cleaning the parts with the parts washer
03:11 removing the old bushings
05:17 restoring the fix jaw
07:57 restoring the movable jaw
09:45 restoring the ends of the handle
10:37 making a new handle on the lathe
11:48 restoring the spindle nut
13:15 restoring the spindle nut holder plate
14:05 making two new screws for the plate on the lathe and milling machine
15:27 restoring the spindle
16:21 making a new pin for the spindle on the lathe
17:04 making the missing parts for the spindle on the lathe and milling machine
18:12 applying filler
19:41 showing the new jaws
19:54 showing the new hardened pins
19:57 showing all parts before reassembling
22:26 showing the finished restoration
23:22 final test
23:49 Patreon supporters
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 2 weeks
$20 2k primer
$30 2k coat cobalt blue (RAL5013)
$30 steel for new parts
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
„I make a new one“ T-Shirts:
My Main Channel:
My Second Channel:
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram:
My Facebook Page: