פורסם בתאריך 20 מרץ 2020
In this video i'm restoring an antique broken hacksaw.
At the end of 2019 I recieved an e-mail from a subscriber from Germany. He sent me pictures of an old broken hacksaw that he has found in his garage. I really like the look of it, especially the clamping lever. I've never seen a clamping mechanism like it on a hacksaw, they usually just have wingnuts to put tention on the blade. I also liked the fact that the blade was broken. He was so nice to send me this hacksaw for free and support the channel with it. Thank you very much.
The restoration itself wasn't that complicated, as the function of this tool is very simple and it doesn't have a lot of parts. The most interesting part was definitely the restoration of the broken blade in my opinion. It's very common to weld broken saw blades, there are actually some bandsaws on the market that have an extra welding mechanism attached to it. As I can't TIG weld I had to use my MIG and the result turned out very well. After the sandblasting markings appeared on the main part. Because of them I couldn't sand all the pitting away, that's why I only choose to sand it very gently and keep the markings. It turned out very well after the bluing and gave the whole saw a nice antique touch. One of the two parts with the cones and the slots that hold the blade was really messed up. That's why I decided to replace them both and make new ones on the lathe and mill. I didn't want to use rivets again to hold the blade, as it's very unfortunate if you need to remove the blade to sharpen or replace it. I decided to make two additional screws to hold it in place. I went with a slotted round head on them to add an antique touch.
After all, I really like the look of this hacksaw. The black parts with the dark wooden handle, the old aggressive looking saw blade and the new polished parts. They all fit together very nicely and it actually works.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Amanda Taylor, Esq
Martin Rønnow Klarlund
02:43 showing all the parts
03:48 restoring the main part
06:54 restoring the clamping lever
08:44 making a new screwable rivet on the lathe
10:54 restoring the wooden handle
12:54 making two new flathead screws on the lathe and mill
13:58 restoring the saw blade
15:38 making two new saw blade holders on the lathe and mill
17:15 making two new screws to hold the saw blade in place
18:16 showing the parts before reassembling
19:40 showing the finished restoration
20:34 final test
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 2 weeks
$10 Material for the new parts
$25 Tap Drill M2.5
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
„I make a new one“ T-Shirts:
My Second Channel:
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram:
My Facebook Page: