פורסם בתאריך 6 יונ 2020
Last time I scrolled through eBays antique section, this nice little antique kitchen scale caught my attention at the first sight. It was a little bit expensive with a price tag of $75, but I didn't even thought twice about buying it. I fell in love with it right away.
The paint looked very bad, it also had some dents and some signs of its age. It was still working and had a new screw added, I guess someone quickly fixed it before selling. The plate did sit way too loose on the top part, that made me suspicious that it isn't the original one. After disassemling I thought this will be a very quick and easy restoration, but one thing came after the other and it tourned out to be the most challenging one i've done on this channel so far.
I wanted to have a super glossy and perfect paint job. For that reason I applied three coats of high build primer after the regular primer and filler. Wet sanding with 400 and 800 grit made the base super smooth and perfectly even. Then it was time to apply two coats of light ivory. After it dried I masked it again and painted the brillant blue. The paint turned out absolutely amazing.
The old glass cover was too messed up to even try to clean it. I milled a new one on the tiny cnc-milling machine. Instead of painting the back of it gold, I decided to mill a brass foil to put it underneath. I cut some threads into the housing and fixed the class with fake rivets in a brushed look.
The whole mechanism of the scale needed much attention. I had to remake some parts that got destroyed during the disassembly. But the most difficult parts were definitely the aluminium part and the paper scale. This was my first attempt ever in metal spinning. After a few tries I knew how to do it and I was able to make an absolutely perfect part. The scale was warped due to the disassembly with water, so I had to make a new one from scratch. It required a lot of math to calculate all the diameters and angles, but it turned out very well.
I spent a long time thinking about the plate. After my success with the metal spinning of the aluminium part I decided to try to make a new one out of a copper sheet. I made a negative form as a template out of wood and than spinn the copper sheet on it to a plate. After a failed tries, I suceed. The key point was to heat the sheet up before hand to make it soft. I then sanded it all clean and soldered a ring on the back.
The plate, The scale with the aluminium part and the glass cover with the brass foil were definitely my personal highlights of this restoration. I think this is definitely one of the most favourite project I've done so far. It was very challenging and I had to learn many new skills to get the job done. After all I'm very happy with this restoration.
I hope you like my work and the video.
Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to:
Amanda Taylor, Esq
Martin Rønnow Klarlund
Time and costs of this restoration:
I was working on this project for 4 weeks
$25 kitchen scale
$20 2k primer
$30 high build primer
$30 2k coat light ivory
$30 2k coat brillant blue
$25 brass foil
$5 transparent plastic
$10 copper sheet
$5 aluminium sheet
If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible.
Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english.
Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations.
Thank you for watching :-)
„I make a new one“ T-Shirts:
My Main Channel:
My Second Channel:
My Patreon Page:
Follow me on Instagram:
My Facebook Page: